Unusual amount of Die Hard Scenario films and shows have recently emerged. Case in point, here is a huge recap of what everyone's been missing.
- Quantico- an essential mash-up of "24" and The Fugitive except with the framed protagonist being none other than a beautiful Middle Eastern-American FBI agent framed for a recent terrorist bombing.
- Blindspot- while often labeled as another mash-up of Memento and the Jason Bourne films, this has several DHS segments including direct references and character names stolen from none other than Under Siege (AWOL SEALs named Casey Ryback!) as well as a Hard Boiled styled hospital shoot-out and various other heists/building lockdowns with FBI personnel surrounding the building while the heroes inside dismantle the…
Here are some films which I believe would be worthy of being added to a list containing the best Die Hard scenario movies. One can be quick to note that some of these films are either inspired by pre-DH films (D.O.A., Dog Day Afternoon, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Assault on Precinct 13), reimaginings and continuations of popular media with clear DH inspirations (James Bond, Fast & Furious sequels, Mission: Impossible, Hawaii Five-0) or films/show based on other films inspired by the Die Hard formula (Taken, 24, Home Alone, The Net, Speed, Broken Arrow, Air Force One, even Half Past Dead and other disaster movies).
Here are one-hundred films I think most people would be glad to include in their home movie collections, let alone take the time to view at so…Read more >
Alright, I'm keen on making what is a essentially a mash-up of my two favorite films STAR WARS and DIE HARD.
Essentially, a group of thieves and hackers (actors to be determined) take over a planet destroyer and a bunch of pirates hired to do a mercenary job by this rebel group are the only unlikely heroes able to defuse this situation.
For the heroes, I'm thinking the Han Solo type can be played by Michael Madsen, the buddy counterpart (which makes this more like LETHAL WEAPON now) would be Tony Todd and the female companion can be Yancy Butler (Hard Target, Witchblade).
I might want to get Joe Estevez to play the main villain though since he and I are homies.Read more >
- Olympus/London Has Fallen 3 (if it does happen)
- Salt 2
- The Raid 3
- RED 3
- The Expendables TV show
- The Unit Spin-off movie (always talked about yet hasn't happened yet)
- 24: The Movie
- Die Hardest
- The Raid (US remake; excited now that director Patrick Hughes is helping it and Frank Grillo is set to star as the lead)
- The Equalizer 2
- John Wick 2
- The November Man 2
- Any future James Bond films
- Safe House 2
- Bourne Identity 5th installment
- Speed 3 (might not even happen but a guy can dream, right?)
In no particular order, I list a few actors and actresses who's talents I am a fan of and would like to see appear in more Die Hard inspired films outside of a mere television show or video game.
- Guy Pearce
- Matt Damon
- Dennis Quaid
- Tony Todd
- Lance Henriksen
- Adrianne Paliacki
- Annie Wersching
- Laurence Fishburne
- Gary Daniels
- Wesley Snipes
- Ben Cross
- Timothy Olyphant
- Iko Uwais
- Jean Reno
- Djimon Hounsou
- Rick Yune
- Jeffrey Wright
- Brad Pitt
- Angelina Jolie
- Sandra Bullock
- Keanu Reeves
- Barry Pepper
- Forest Whitaker
- Liam Neeson
- Katee Sackhoff
- Gary Cole
- Pierce Brosnon
- Colin Farrell
- Tyrese Gibson
- The Rock
- Daniel Craig
- Olga Kurylenko
- John Cho
- Aaron Eckhart
- Angela Bassett
- Mark Harmon
- Tony Plana
- Kevin McKidd
Listed in no real specific order
Read more >
Anything that was added at here but later removed or I concur with other movie sites as being DHS worthy will be listed here.
- Law Abiding Citizen
- The Last Stand
- The Last Castle
- This Ain't Die Hard XXX
- 24 XXX: An Axel Braun Parody
- In the Line of Fire
- Street Fighter: The Movie
- This Ain't the Expendables XXX
- Jason Bourne series (six total)
24 XXX: AN Axel Braun Parody is a 2014 porn parody of the hit television series "24".
He's back and he's gonna need a hacksaw. Legendary director and "24" mega-fan Axel Braun delivers porn parody gold with this hilariously sexy spoof featuring uber bad-ass Jack Bauer on the longest funniest day of his life.
CTU Los Angeles' top agent Jack Bauer (Kurt Lockwood) is flying back to LAX after burying his wife when his daughte…
Read more >
Any actor or stunt performer with the most appearances in 10 or more Die Hard scenario films/shows/videogames.
- Bruce Willis- 31 appearances total
- John Meier- 27 appearances total
- Eddie J. Fernandez- 22 appearances total
- Billy D. Lucas and Henry Kingi- 20 appearances total
- Dolph Lundgren- 19 appearances total
- Cole S. McKay and Thomas Rosales Jr.- 18 appearances total
- Simon Rhee- 16 appearances total
- Eric Roberts, Morgan Freeman and Rick Avery- 15 appearances total
- Michael Ironside, Ice-T and Jean-Claude Van Damme- 14 appearances total
- Samuel L. Jackson, Keith Woulard, Greg Collins, Pierce Brosnan and Michael Dudikoff- 13 appearances total
- Denney Pierce, Arnold Vosloo, Andrew Divoff, Jason Statham and Glenn Morshower- 12 appearances total
- Denzel Washingto…
Anything that shall take awhile (maybe even years) to decide if they qualify due to critics differing on them in different circles:
- Silicon Towers- more like another cyber thriller but appears to just have all of these explosive outcomes within this one building.
- Narrow Margin (1990 remake)
- Smokin' Aces
- The Hurt Locker
Read more >
There's also this one production company with some DHS-type films being developed for future productions as seen here.
Any movie poster or actor photos for future page I shall add later; this is so that they won't be taking up space on my hard drive and if I can't get to them sooner, anyone is free to use these photos for the various other pages awaiting to be created.
Quick note on Mark Riccardi- stunt double for Kim Coates in Hostage; Henderson's mercenary on 24; Customs Agent/stunt double: John Travolta on SwordfishRead more >
It's not secret that as viscerally capable as Bruce Willis truly is and typically living up to his accomplished name, he has of course played a cop in just every other movie and here are some films where he essentially is coming off as an unofficial John McClane:
- 16 Blocks- Though different in tone, this has often been labeled as a "McClane nearing retirement" type of film.
- Hostage- while this is also about a disgraced police officer, this is just a solid adaptation of Robert Crais' novel (although one can argue once more that it's not that original when Die Hard films are in general inspired by novels), Bruce levels up his performance up a notch in order to fully bring this disgraced yet committed authority figure to life.
- Mercury Rising- This …
I could care less whether this claims to be campy/cheese/schlock, whatever or if it's dead-serious, main point is: it's a rather brain-damaging movie. Here's some laughable moments (most are from the beginning, that's how problematic it is):
- We spend twenty minutes without any actual set-up and don't learn much of anything about any of these main characters. Starpower alone isn't enough to accommodate that feature.
- Our main character John Cale unloads his weapon at a secured entrance and then puts it in a suitcase. Why the hell didn't he already put it in there? Unacceptable in a 9/11 scenario.
- There have been plenty of dirty bombs planted in all sorts of places but this terrorist disguised as a janitor would still need clearance, let alone …
Any Die Hard scenario protagonist, antagonist or character with gray-morals and their on-screen kill count:
- Inspector Tequila Yuen (Chow Yun-Fat): 1576 kills (76 in Hard Boiled, 1500 in Stranglehold)
- Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland): 816 kills (261 on the show- including 4 Day 1 off-screen kills & Day 1's 1 shared with Curtis; 14 in the Redemption telefilm; 45 in Live Another Day; 496 in The Game) (To be updated soon for the future movie installment)
- Sgt. Major Jonas Blane (Dennis Haysbert): 152 kills
- Sgt. Michael Stonebridge (Philip Winchester): To be determined (To be updated soon for final season)
- Damien Scott (Sullivan Stapleton): To be determined (To be updated soon for final season)
- John Porter (Richard Armitage): To be determined
- SFC Bob Brown (Scott Fo…
Read more >
- Captain Phillips- it's a magnificent endeavor but inspired by Die Hard it is not. Inspired by an actual event, it is.
- 44 Minutes- See Captain Phillips above.
- Heat- another neat heist film that I could easily rank up there with the original Die Hard but it's again another cat-and-mouse film focusing on gangsters and authority figures, both of whom have everything to lose, lots to gain and slowly succumb to their personal flaws.
- Various spy films- please note that some of the films on here are somewhat inspired by the likes of James Bond, Alias, NCIS, Bourne, etc. and they definitely don't belong here due to those similarities.
- Various horror-scifi thriller films
- Crimson Tide- While many of the various films on here set on a submarine borrow from this …
- Air Force One
- Diplomatic Siege
- The Last Siege: Never Surrender (A.K.A. Hijack)
- The Rock
- Olympus Has Fallen
- American Meltdown
- Police Story 2013
- Sleepless Night
- The Raid: Redemption
- Evasive Action
- Executive Decision
- Hard Boiled
- The Negotiator
- The Raid 2
- Command Performance
- Toy Soldiers
- High Risk (A.K.A. Meltdown)
- Con Air
- Assault on Precinct 13 (2005 film)
- Panic Room
- Broken Arrow
- White House Down
- Project Shadowchaser
- Project Shadowchaser II
- The Alternate
- Air Rage
- Escape Under Pressure
- Final Voyage
- Crackerjack 2
- Crackerjack 3
- Sonic Impact
- Maximum Conviction
- Tactical Force
- Steel Sharks
- Crash Dive
- Counter Measures
- Irresistible Force
- Assault on Dome 4
- Cyberjack (A.K.A. Virtual Assassin)
- Maiden Voyage…
Read more >
Planned release date: February 3, 2017
Starring: Kyle Cooke
Distribution: Paramount Pictures, Millenium Films
Plot: After their parents are murdered in a grocery store shooting, a young ex-con and his siblings decide to make sure the guy who did it doesn't get away with doing this to them.
Heroes: Mike Nolan, Matilda Nolan, Arnold Croft
Villains: Reuben Croft, Grace Nolan, Joel Cameron, Marcus Collins, Norman Collins, Remy Henderson, Isabelle Collins, Annie Croft
Allies: Tom Nolan, Chuck Nolan, Larry Nolan, Jackie Nolan, Stan Nolan, Keith Nolan, Kurt Nolan, Matt Nolan, Calvin Newton, Sgt. Roberts, Chief Carson, Emily Smith, Jared Smith, Martin, TJ, Valentino, Tracy Nolan, Freddy, Sherriff Hicks, Deputy Gannon, Amber Nolan, Ted…Read more >
This is the list my favorite and least favorite action heroes in DHS films.
- John McClane - (Die Hard film series)
- Mike Banning - (Olympus Has Fallen)
- Casey Ryback - (Under Siege film series)
- John Mason - (The Rock)
- President James Marshall - (Air Force One)
- Gabe Walker - (Cliffhanger)
- John Cutter - (Passenger 57)
- Jesse Graves - (Firestorm)
- John Cale - (White House Down)
- Paul Blart - (Paul Blart: Mall Cop)
Here's the reason why I enjoyed Olympus Has Fallen
Olympus Has Fallen is shown to be a dark and gritty action movie and I happened to like the dark and gritty tone of it. It's like Die Hard meets Under Siege in the White House. I also think that Mike Banning, played by Gerard Butler, is arguably one of the top action heroes in the Die Hard scenario films and many people see it that way. Banning is like John McClane of the Die Hard series meets Jack Bauer of 24. Banning has some memorable quotes like John McClane does and he can confront and kill his enemies in brutal ways as possible as Jack Bauer would. I happened to like the way Banning kills his enemies in a more brutal and effective ways. Banning is also human and has a chance to redeem …Read more >
They are radically different, probably polar opposite, in fact, so it is hard to compare them. Whenever I talk about WHD I think about Air Force One and Die Hard (which is what inspired the screenplay) but when I think about OHF I tend to lean more towards a Seagal flick, Dredd or Commando. And don't get me wrong, I loved Dredd and Commando was what got me into action films, but I can't see any resemblance to Die Hard from OHF apart from the fact that it takes place in an enclosed location. You are right about OHF being dark and gritty but it doesn't feel like Die Hard at all. Of course, I am not saying that it isn't a DHS film, it is, but it just doesn't feel like Die Hard. And you can see why. To me, I am reminded more of Nothing Lasts F…Read more >
I can't stand this movie. It's beyond intelligence insulting. I think the worst things about it besides the horrible script are the ridiculous terrorist plot, the incompetent president who actually gives away nuclear launch codes and the fact that the nuclear plot wouldn't even be possible in real life. Even if unarmed nuclear missiles COULD detonate in their silos, the silos would not let the radiation escape, since they are already built to withstand nuclear attack. Not to mention that North Korea doesn't have the capabilities to pull off this attack and that the US Military would have neutralized the situation before the terrorists got within a mile of the White House. At least in White House Down the terrorists were aided by a diversio…Read more >
Well, that's a pretty good question.
From the main page, I've typed up this to try and summarize it: As with any groundbreaking film series, such as Jaws or Jurassic Park, they will always have their imitators. Most Die Hard Scenario movies feature an enclosed (although this is not necessary to the plot) location taken over by heavily armed criminals or terrorists and one lone, ordinary, reluctant hero who must find their way out of the mess and save the day because it is the right thing to do! There are two primary types of this film genre: the original Die Hard clones (starting with Die Hard), which use a single location, or the newer Die Hard clones (starting with Die Hard with a Vengeance), which either use entire cities or a wide vari…Read more >